December 06, 2012

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Good morning.  I feel like I'm sitting here in my comfy chair and just having a little chat with you all.

I had a very interesting day yesterday. 

For the past 6 months, I've been on a mission to 'cleanse' my body of all toxins received from my many scans and input of nuclear medicine pumped into it and wanted to end up with an alkaline body where cancer does not like to live.  So with the help of a Nutritionist,  I was on a plan with no pork, very little beef, a lot of different foods that I normally would not even try, limited to one coffee a week, one glass of wine a week, (that was a tough one), one bottle of beer a week, no creams, no sweets or sugar because cancer LOVES sugar.  I changed my way of cooking - switched to using a LOT of lemon juice instead of creamy dressings, etc.  I have to admit that I stuck to it really well, lost 12 pounds but FELT GOOD!  I missed a lot of my normal foods but felt I wanted to do this for myself.

Well, then all hell broke loose.  I sat down and ate two entire chocolate bars in one day! Anyway, for the past couple of weeks, I've been getting increasingly weaker, to the point where I am having trouble getting up a single step.  So being one to try and figure out what is happening, I was afraid if this kept up, I would be in a wheelchair within a week, thinking my newfound steroid intake was interferring with my other drugs I use to control my Myasthenia Gravis (muscle disease). 

So off I went yesterday, making calls and between all the professionals, it was decided it definitely was not interaction between the two drugs.  I was sent to the local hospital to see if perhaps it could be a tumour or something else causing this and to report back to the Clinic the level of weakness.  

They were NOT happy to see me because they didn't know what they were supposed to do for me.  After many tests (including blood cultures) were done, one of the covering Doctors who had never seen me before,  looked at all the test results and asked if I was a vegetarian.  He said my protein and sodium levels were dangerously  low and my muscles were unable to function properly, especially with the addition of recent major steroids to my body!  Who the heck would ever have thought that  (or tested for it).  That is putting it is a nutshell and I'm probably not explaining it correctly but when we told him I am wakened by severe muscle cramps each morning and other symptoms, he definitely confirmed that this is the problem - not enough protein!  I LOVE this local hospital and staff!  I also love eating meat and have been missing it for a long time.  I'm  hoping his theory is correct - I enjoy having control of my body.......

Anyway, I am going to try introducing it into my daily diet - maybe I can get better control of Munching Myrtle and just enjoy both the Christmas baking in moderation (share more with Bob......), continue to eat sensibly without a lot of creamy soups and dressings, but introduce more 'good' things like lean pork and beef into my daily diet.  I will still enjoy chicken and fish, chicken and fish, chicken and fish............and the odd shrimp!

I'm feeling much more positive today, mainly because we've been pro-active again and it's going to pay off, hopefully.

Life is good - have a great day everyone.  xo

2 comments:

  1. I just clicked on comments and it seems to be working.
    Nancy
    PS Add some scallops to your fish menu.
    Gayle has a good recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well another very interesting blog today. Boy, what an ordeal for you. It just doesn't stop does it? Thank goodness you are a smart cookie and went to the hospital knowing someone would help you find the culprit to this latest health issue. I do know that muscles need protien but would never have figured this one out so good for you and your new found doctor. I hope each day finds you getting stronger. Hang In The There Dianne

    ReplyDelete